Under the purview of defence and security, MIDAS has established two centers, specific to the research and development of strategies. These two centres are supported by the Admin and Development Department (A&DD).
MIDAS Blue Ocean Strategy Research Centre (MBOSC)
The MBOSC is responsible to spearhead the implementation of the Blue Ocean Strategy (BOS) for the Malaysian Armed Forces (MAF) and the Ministry of Defence (MinDef), to carry out the following tasks:
- inculcate the concept of the BOS into MinDef strategic thinking and defence/security strategy and policy research efforts;
- promote the understanding and facilitate education effort on the BOS throughout the MAF and MinDef;
- act as the centre for coordination/ interface and cooperation between civil agencies and MinDef/MAF in the practice of the BOS;
- act as the centre for idea generation for practical implementation.
Comprehensive Defence and Security Research Centre (CDSRC)
The CDSRC is responsible to conduct research for the Malaysian Armed Forces (MAF) and the Ministry of Defence (MinDef), specific to issues pertinent to the following:
- Traditional Military Affairs; that include issues related to threats generated from military forces and military technologies.
- Non-Traditional Military Affairs; that include issues related to threats generated from non conventional military forces and technologies.
- Policy. Research that includes research on national defence and security policies, foreign policy, military diplomacy and national resilience.